Saturday 3 September 2011

Lesson Study

My thoughts.....

When Ms Peggy asked me about the lesson study, I thought it was in dept study of a math unit. It’s actually a study of a research idea in the classroom. I saw that a team of observers observe the teacher in a classroom. After which, officers have a post lesson conference with the teacher. They suggest ways to improve the lesson.  One of the ways is the classroom management of the teacher. In the first video, the children were seated in rows. Some children were restless and kept moving.  The second video showed a better seating arrangement of which children were seated in a semi circle. Children were more focused during lesson.  Providing each child opportunity to explore the concept for in this case, each child was given paper plates to explore more and less, enables children to understand concepts more.
I have learnt in this session about differentiating during a lesson. In a class, there are different types of learners. Some might be fast learners, some need more assistance during teaching.  Planning should be based on different needs of the children. Teachers can challenge the fast learner by using a bigger two digit numbers and assisting the children with smaller numbers.
I and my groupmates created structure by using cubes. We created 17 different structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment